Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fun with Christians II-B

Well, that game seems to be over. Sad, but there it is. He responded, and his post ended:
I wouldn’t bother continuing to post comments, there is plenty for others to read and I’ll post some links to refutations of your assertions so those who wish can do the research themselves, after all…that’s why I let your comments stand in the first place.

I won’t link to Cynic’s blog, there is too much horrible language used there. If you want it you can search it.
That was a clue for me that he'd actually gone to my blog. It wasn't like I hid it. It was included in every post; the post headers link to it every time.

Obviously, in retrospect, that was much too easy a clue. But I always post linked to this blog; I wasn't hiding who I was, just what my personal beliefs are. Ah, well. Life goes on...

Anyway, I sent the following final shot, which (outside of here) will never see the light of day:
Although I suspect that this response will never be seen, let just point out a few inconsistencies (or misunderstandings) in your post.
I’m going to assume from your comments that you have no issue with the bible calling Homosexuality a sin, it’s just that Leviticus 18:22 has been mistranslated, and taken out of context.
Not quite. I do not believe that homosexuality is a sin. I believe that much of the Old Testament has been mistranslated or taken out of context, and this is what leads to the prohibition against homosexuality.
I believe that ALL scripture is “breathed out by God” and is as described in 2nd Timothy 3:16.
But you ignore Colossians 2:14, where he "canceled out the written code." Further, although you once again bring up the now-canceled dietary laws, you continue to ignore other strictures laid out in the OT, which, having been "breathed out by God," should be just as valid today. I mentioned a few of them - this is by no means exhaustive, though. Particularly Leviticus and, to a lesser extent Exodus, are full of these ignored Lesser Commandments:
Have you killed a teenager for yelling at their parents lately? Leviticus 20:9:
"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."

Leviticus 19 is pretty straight-forward, Ten-Commandments-like stuff, but there are a few exceptions: not planting your field with two different seeds won’t come up a lot for the average city-dweller, but have you worn a cotton-poly shirt? Forbidden. (Lev 19:19) Haircuts and shaving are right out (Lev 19:27), as are tattoos (Lev 19:28), astrology (Lev 19:26) or fortune tellers (Lev 19:31).

...the daily animal sacrifices were stopped by the selective reading of Hebrews 10:2-11 (of course, it doesn’t say that you should stop, just that it can never “take away sins” – oddly, the purpose is not simply to take away sins, but because the Lord Thy God commanded it, so is that really a good argument?)

Leviticus 12:1-8 declares that a woman is unclean for 33 days after giving birth to a boy and for 66 days after giving birth to a girl. It goes on to demand that certain animals must be offered as a burnt offering. Read Leviticus 23 to see the detailed regulations concerning “complete rest” on the Sabbath day, and the demands of animal sacrifice. Leviticus 18:19 forbids a husband from having sex with his wife during her menstrual period. Leviticus 19:19 forbids mixed breeding of various kinds of cattle, sowing various kinds of seeds in your field or wearing “a garment made from two kinds of material mixed together.”

For that matter, Leviticus 25:44 says that you may own slaves, as long as they’re from neighboring nations (which would be, for Americans, Mexico and Canada). On the other hand, Leviticus 21:20 says that you can’t approach the altar of God if you have a defect in your sight. I’m pretty sure that would include glasses.

Exodus tells us some interesting facts. For example, 21:7 tells you how to sell your daughter into slavery, while 35:2 tells you to kill someone who works on the Sabbath.
And those are the ones I've mentioned before, that you choose to ignore. Entirely non-dietary, but ignored. I could go on, but why? Based on your responses so far, you'll continue to ignore these requirements that were "breathed out by God."
I was right, though. He moderates which responses he allows, and if I hadn't engaged with him in the first place, the original debate wouldn't have taken place. But go to the original post, and way down at the bottom, you'll find the final response, under my name, which now reads:
Cynic,
You are right. I’m tired of posting your rants disguised as “proof” of your assertions. Your “proofs” haven’t changed since your first comment post…assertions and no support.

Category error ring a bell?

Context of passage ring a bell?

All you’ve done is show you can cut and paste from your favorite Homosexual revisionist tracts…nothing more.

I was naive to believe you were actually looking for my exegesis…you are looking for an excuse to spew your hate and your unfounded views of scripture.

Spew them on your own blog…not here.
I challenge anyone to find anything I wrote which qualified as a "rant." All passages were taken in context. All translation issues are accurate.

Hypocrisy is a lovely thing, isn't it?

But, yeah. I think he's ticked at me.

2 comments:

Go Share Your Faith said...

Cynic,
Just to set the record straight...

I'm not ticked, I'm not angry, and I'm not upset with you.

I think you didn't make your case, I think you asserted much with no actual evidence but had mistaken an assertion for an argument...but no, I'm not upset.

Nameless Cynic said...

Well, to be honest, I haven't been losing any sleep over it. But here. Let's move it into this forum.

I used, as my evidence, the actual Scripture of the Old Testament. But let's bring it down even further. Let's just go with the one simple question. Why do you feel that the rest of Leviticus should be ignored, the part that doesn't involve the dietary code, should be ignored, except for the part which you claim (despite the linguistic evidence) condemns homosexuality?

Cotton-polyester or wool-blend shirts (Lev 19:19)

Haircuts and shaving (Lev 19:27)

Killing teenagers for yelling at their parents. (Lev 20:9)

Can't approach the altar if you have a "defect in your sight." (Lev 21:20)

Just a couple of the ones I mentioned before, which you ignored entirely. Why are these things, also "breathed out by God," less important than the (mistranslated) stricture against homosexuality?